[DeTomaso] U-joint lube question

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon May 30 18:27:17 EDT 2022

All,

2511 now has CV joints from Dennis, but when purchased it had upgraded Spicer half shafts and U joints.

In conversation one day with a parts counter clerk at the local driveline shop he mentioned Spicer makes heavy duty, permanently greased U-joints. These are often used for agricultural irrigation, and he said they can spin day after day year after year with no attention and very few failures.

If they can survive heavy, continual use in the heat of the California central valley, they certainly can survive, for decades, the 100/300 annual miles most owners seem to actually put on their cars.

They do not have a Zerk fitting or provisions for one and the caps are not flexible rubber but are rigid plastic.

No annual grease means no grease being flung around the engine bay.

So I bought a set and had them installed.

If anybody is looking to upgrade to the Spicer half shaft components, my set, with permanently lubricated U-joints, is available for sale.

Larry