[DeTomaso] Sticking Throttle Cable

Jim Kosloskey jim.kosloskey at jim-kosloskey.com
Sun May 22 09:46:23 EDT 2022

My 1974 Pantera has a Throttle Cable with an integrated return spring
(pusher type).

I just removed it from its Car Capsule for the Summer and discovered the
throttle sticking part way open (revs up to 4k once started). It appears the
return spring is not returning the throttle as a slight pull on the throttle
brings things back to idle. Obviously cannot be driven like this.

The cable and carburetor were put into service in 2017 and have not seen a
lot of use. Do these need to be periodically lubricated, or cleaned, or
both?

Temporarily we plan to add an external helper spring.

Jim Kosloskey