[DeTomaso] On a stock 74 Pantera with a stock gas tank. How many gal. of fuel does the tank hold when the red light comes on?

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat May 14 16:37:06 EDT 2022

I believe our tanks hold approximately 21 gallons. This seems to be a number that is generally accepted by most.

In the last month during my 1700 mile drive to and from the Fun Rally my low fuel light was twice illuminated shortly before refilling.

One of those refills took a little over 17 gallons and the other refill took a little less than 17 gallons.

If the 21 gallon capacity is correct that would mean my tank has about 4 gallons in reserve, which should conservatively give me about 60 miles at normal highway speed, 70-80mph.

The fuel level and the low fuel signal are both dependent on the condition-shape of the fuel sender arm and float.

Thus for you to answer your question accurately for your particular car, you should do a couple of refills shortly after your low fuel light is illuminated.

Larry