[DeTomaso] Rust in Tank

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 08:56:35 EDT 2022

Years ago, I changed my fuel tank to pull from the drain plug, through a big external filter, and then to the fuel pump.  It all tucks up neatly, and allows me to periodically clean the filter.  I made this change, because the original siphon tube had become plugged by the fuel sock and rust.

See the attached.  That isn’t gold.  It’s rust dust.  I had about half a shot glass in the filter.  It’s hard to see in the photo how much is there.

This filter can handle it.  It’s about 2” in diameter and about 5” long.  This type of filter is a tube with the steel mesh filter in the middle.  It is arranged to trap the rust outside the mesh.  Heavier particles can sink to the bottom.

If I could turn back time (like Cher) to when I had the tank out several years ago, I would switch to a stainless tank.

Will.