[DeTomaso] Air cleaner drop base needed (was: Posting)

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 15:32:00 EST 2022

Fred,

Fortunately your problem is simple and inexpensive to solve.

My wife’s Pamtera #1765 also has a K&N filter setup.  Out of the box it would not fit under the screen because the base had zero drop (that is, the bottom of the air cleaner was at exactly the same height as the top of the carb).  However, it’s possible to get replacement bases with a variety of different heights, and by choosing the correct one it’s easy to achieve this:

If you choose a base with insufficient drop the lid won’t clear the screen. If it’s too much, the underside of the base will rest directly atop the spark plug wires on the distributor cap, leading to spark jump and ignition problems. There is a just-right height which differs depending on your intake manifold, air filter height, use of carb spacers etc.   You want about 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance from the plug wires at a minimum.

Here is a direct link showing all the drop bases of various heights offered by Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/air-cleaner-bottoms/air-cleaner-size/14-in-diameter/base-style/dropped

Note various drop heights are listed on the left side of that screen.

Do a little figuring and perhaps order 2-3 with varying amounts of drop (which, if I’m honest, is easier than taking a bunch of measurements) and only keep the one that works best and return the others. Or, you can measure the existing clearance from the underside of your base to the distributor, subtract 1/4-1/2 inch from that value, then order a single base with that amount of drop.

This all assumes a filter that isn’t excessively tall. If needed you can also get shorter filters, but you need to pay attention because if your base has to much drop and you’re filter is too short, the underside of the air cleaner lid will practically rest atop the carb and you won’t be able to get adequate airflow (and if it’s REALLY too shirt you won’t be able to assemble everything).

Let us know how it works out!

Mike

Sent from my iPad