[DeTomaso] Exploding air conditioning system - Fake News or an accident waiting to happen?

charlesmccall at gmail.com charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 09:06:03 EDT 2022

Hi all

In the 20+ years that I've had my Pantera, the air conditioning has only
worked for a few sporadic months. It works fine when charged, but we can't
find the source of the leak, despite having changed nearly everything that
could be changed. So the system was charged again a few weeks ago preparing
for my trip to Le Mans Classic, and this guy did find a crimp that looked
suspicious, so we'll see how long I have cool air.

Anyway, I seem to remember that we all know that at higher speeds (85mph+)
there is a low pressure area behind the AC condenser, which is why some
people move them up front. I also seem to remember something about the
system pressure getting too high because of inadequate cooling, and this
high pressure causing the system to explode. Is this correct? Is there a
risk from leaving the AC on full speed, non-stop for hours on end of high
speed highway cruising with the stock condenser set-up?

Thank you!

Classification: Restricted