[DeTomaso] Fwd: I Found the World's FASTEST Pantera!

MICHAEL DREW mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 01:53:43 EDT 2022

Mike,

That’s Gary Archambault. Great guy  He and Wally Baldyga used to come to the Fun Rally together all the time. Gary had (has?) a red GT5-S, Amerisport I think.

Wally primarily built the race car and Gary was the designated driver. Very very fast!  He also did some club racing and had a horrific crash in a Porsche 944 that left him with a badly broken back and he was laid up for a very long time. The Pantera was parked then and really hasn’t run since.

Wally had cubic buttloads of NOS parts. He bought out the inventory of every dealer on the east coast, much like Hall did, when Ford dumped the Pantera program. The difference is, he just kept them. If you wanted something he would gladly sell it to you, but you had to go there in person and haggle with him. My car was restored in Vermont  and I went there several times and got lots of needed stuff including a windshield.

A few years ago Wally decided to hang it up. Gary Archambault called me to help find a buyer and I steered him to Wilkinson. Steve flew out and they did a deal, and three full 18-wheeler trailers were needed to haul everything away. Besides parts he also had several wrecked parts cars and a supremely rusty GT5. Steve has fitted that car with a leftover Pantera Si chassis and the restoration is almost complete I think.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone