[DeTomaso] Cooling fan light

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 21:17:19 EDT 2022

Mike,

It’s VERY easy to fix!

You accurately describe the situation—when the fans are now drawing power (working), they act like turbines and airflow generates power which causes the light to glow dimly. What you need to do is ground the fans directly to the body, using diodes (which are electrical one-way valves).

This eBay seller has them, and they work great. I’ve purchased dozens of them from him for people over the years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325194863783?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=p0aKGuDEQFe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=yOodP4aXT3u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This is for a set of four (inky two needed). His price for two is almost the same so I always get four and pass the unneeded ones on.

In practice, I drill a hole in the fan mounting bracket right behind the grille, alongside and underneath the fan, and bolt the diode there (after scraping away the paint to ensure a good ground). The ground wire from the fan normally connects to the harness. Simply unplug it, attach a suitable connector and hook it to the diode. It’s a matter of a few minutes.

As an added benefit, this will cure cars with ‘sensitive’ ignition systems like MSD, where the feedback from the fans can keep the box powered after the ignition switch is turned off, and cause the engine  to run on for a few seconds until the fans spin down and stop producing power.

Finally, the ground path through the stock harness is a long and tortured one. Although others have said it with conviction, I can’t prove that the fans will spin faster/work better if grounded locally like this.

But I believe it….

Mike

Sent from my iPad