[DeTomaso] One person ZF adjustment

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 19:34:54 EDT 2022

All,

Because there is a certain amount of slop in the system, I found that if I left the shift lever centered in the 3rd gear gate and tightened the linkage, the lever would no longer be centered when I was done. Eventually I hit upon the tactic of jamming a flat blade screwdriver between the edge of the shift lever and the edge of the gate, forcing the shift lever hard up against the other edge of the gate (meaning it was slightly off center). After I tightened the nuts, when the screwdriver was removed the linkage ‘relaxed’ and the lever was completely centered, and the shifting was perfect.

Even if you have a helper, this technique can be very beneficial, but you can do it solo once you figure out which way the lever needs to be displaced (I THINK the screwdriver location is largely dependent upon which of the two locknuts is being tightened, but I am a bit fuzzy on the details….)

Mike

Sent from my iPad