[DeTomaso] Tom Tjaarda: the Michigan maestro | Classic & Sports Car

MICHAEL DREW mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 16:48:05 EST 2022

That’s a beautiful car, easily the equal of the Mangusta IMHO.

As it was built on the cheap using a Mangusta as the basis, it was always going to bear a strong resemblance to the Mangusta, and some criticize it for being a bit too derivative. But when your boss tells you to make an all new car but you have to use an existing chassis and hard points, and some existing glass (like the windshield I think), and on by the way your budget is zilch, there’s only so much you can do.

So with all that said I think Tom did a super job. But you can see it is much more a case of him interpreting somebody else’s design language, rather than a completely original design. Tom had a ‘look’ he repeated on several cars including the Corvette Rondine and Fiat 124 Spyder and Ferrari 365 California Spyder. Those are all clearly identifiable as Tjaarda originals based on their similarity to one another. The Pantera is more unique and perhaps represented his ultimate maturation as a designer.

I love them all!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone