[DeTomaso] Recommendations for an in/lb torque wrench.

John Taphorn johnftaphorn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:18:22 EST 2022

No, that wouldn’t work accurately. I mount the digital gauge in a vice. Set
my torque wrench to the low end of the scale and watch how closely the
digital readout is when the torque wrench clicks. Repeat in middle and
upper end of torque wrench’s range.
My experience is that most wrenches are very close. I checked my friends
wrenches as well as it was so easy and quick.
I had a craftsman 3/8” inch wrench that had leaked a lot of oil and I
assumed would be inaccurate. Actually, it was spot on.
I’ve only had to adjust one wrench and it was a simple affair.
I have a Matco torque wrench that the twisted handle doesn’t line up
perfectly on the shaft’s scale. The digital tool confirmed which set of
numbers it was addressing.
So, the digital tool got a lot of use at first and never again. The torque
wrench post reminded me that I had one.

Jt

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 8:12 AM <mirrilm at earthlink.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> I assume you torque a fastener with the HF adapter, and then check the
> fastener with your torque wrench to compare?
>
> /\/\

-------------- next part --------------
   No, that wouldnat work accurately. I mount the digital gauge in a vice.
   Set my torque wrench to the low end of the scale and watch how closely
   the digital readout is when the torque wrench clicks. Repeat in middle
   and upper end of torque wrenchas range.A

   My experience is that most wrenches are very close. I checked my
   friends wrenches as well as it was so easy and quick.A

   I had a craftsman 3/8a inch wrench that had leaked a lot of oil and I
   assumed would be inaccurate. Actually, it was spot on.

   Iave only had to adjust one wrench and it was a simple affair.

   I have a Matco torque wrench that the twisted handle doesnat line up
   perfectly on the shaftas scale. The digital tool confirmed which set of
   numbers it was addressing.A

   So, the digital tool got a lot of use at first and never again. The
   torque wrench post reminded me that I had one.A

   Jt

     I assume you torque a fastener with the HF adapter, and then check
     the fastener with your torque wrench to compare?
     /\/\
     I use this to check the accuracy of my torque wrenches.A
     Inexpensive and adequately accurate.
     [6]https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/torque-
     [7]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
     > If you don't want new, then try Craigslist, facebook marketplace
     or ebay.
     > Depending on brand you might be able to send it for calibration
     > inexpensively enough.A  Or, if you have a calibration house
     locally,
     > you can have it done there.
     >
     > I've purchased many used Snap-On tools from ebay with success, but
     > never a torque wrench.
     >
     > AsaA  Jay
     >
     > Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired Spokane County
     > ARES-RACES-ACS EC/RO
     > ******************************
     > [8]https://w7tsc.org
     > [9]https://www.teampanteraracing.com
     >
     > On 1/3/2022 16:38, Forest Goodhart wrote:
     > >A  A  A Walmart sells one for $20.00.
     > >
     > >A  A  A On Monday, January 3, 2022, 04:32:46 PM PST, Julian Kift
     > >A  A  A <[10]julian_kift at hotmail.com> wrote:
     > >A  A  A  A Depends what size you want, I picked up a reasonably
     priced used
     > >A  A  A SnapOn
     > >A  A  A  A 3 ft torque wrench to get the 450ft/lb needed for
     centerlock race
     > >A  A  A  A wheels, but ideally you want to know the history and
     that it
     > > has
     > been
     > >A  A  A  A stored in the zero setting to avoid spring stretch.
     You could

     <[1][11]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on
     <[2][12]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
     <[3][13]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
     > >A  A  A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] Recommendations for an in/lb
     torque wrench.
     > >A  A  A  A Any suggestions for one "good enough" and not from
     China?

     A [6][16]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso

     [20]https://madeinusa.guide/torque-wrench-made-in-usa/#:~:text=Best%