[DeTomaso] Shift/Steering Linkage U-Joint Repair - The 6328 Resto Chronicles

Mike & Elizabeth mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:32:26 EST 2022

Finishing up work on the steering column and cleaning up the steering shaft
U-joint.  Taking a closer look at it and notice that two of the 'C-clips'
(??) on one pivot (opposite side) were compromised and protruding.  Worked
the joint back and forth a few times and half of one of them broke off.  On
the other end of that pivot point, the clip was sticking out at both ends,
having been pinched in the middle by something that had pinched the joint.
Hard to describe and not going to send a pic through as they often don't
work.

Contacted one of our vendors and was told those C-clips are no longer
available so he sent me four thinner C-clips that end up being slightly
thicker than the single clip.  I tried to use them on the joint but they do
not wrap around the shaft enough to even stay in and, two of these being
ever so slightly thicker than the original single clip, cannot be inserted
without some sort of press.

A bit long winded, sorry.  Looking for assistance on how to proceed.

Thanks

Mike Thomas