[DeTomaso] Large in Door Speaker Magnet Shut Off the Sound if it Touches the Door Skin?

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Feb 12 14:54:27 EST 2022

My opinion is that the magnet touching the doorskin would have no effect on the performance of the speaker. There are several things that might be happening, however. If the magnet pushes firmly enough against the door skin, the frame or basket of the speaker may flex slightly misaligning the voice coil with the inner magnet structure preventing the speaker cone from moving. Generally you would hear distortion first, however, rather than total silence. The other thing that might be happening is one of the terminals on the speaker may move or flex just enough to touch the basket of the speaker, which could certainly short it out if any of the other metal parts of the basket were touching the frame of the car.

Sincerely,

Chris

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Everything works until I firmly close and latch the door, then no sound even though the radio still on counting down time for a song?  It is hard to see the dynamics, but I suspect the speaker moves just enough for the magnet to magnetically attach to the door skin.  When the magnet attached to the door, it probably alters the magnetic field affecting the impedance of the speaker coil, and that may cause the radio to think there is a short and shut off the speaker signal.  Later it works again, until I shut the door.

I'm pretty sure it is not the speaker wires shorting out.

I'm thinking a layer of non-magnetic material between the speaker and door skin may fix it.
Has anyone seen this?
Thanks,
Ken