[DeTomaso] PNW Fall Cruise - Recap and 2021 People's Choice Winner

Mike & Elizabeth mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:44:23 EDT 2021

Panteras Northwest held the first Fall Cruise in two years over the weekend
of September 9-12.  We finally made it to Wheelin' Walla Walla after last
years' COVID cancellation, the extended weekend went well.  Attendees to
this years' event were Mike and Elizabeth Thomas in their Mustang GT, Jeff
Kimball and Kimmie Walker in their black Pantera, Jim and Ruth Rosenburgh in
their red/orange Pantera, Marc and Cindy Strickland in their black Pantera,
Norm McFadden in his burgundy Pantera, Ken and Jan Turney in their gray
Mustang GT, Brian and Jeannine Devine in their gray Lexus and Steven and
Susan Yett in their white Cadillac CTS-V.

Most travelled over to the Walla Walla area on Thursday and we stayed the
weekend in Dayton, wa, a historic farming community in the Palouse about 40
min NE of Walla Walla.  We did have one mechanical challenge when Jim
Rosenburgh's clutch master started sucking air and we had to leave his car
at Norm McFadden's in Richland.  Jim and Ruth rode the rest of the way to
Dayton with us in the Mustang.  The drive through the rolling wheat fields
is very pretty this time of year with the sunlight catching the amber
stubble of the freshly harvested wheat.  This area is incredibly dry due to
the ongoing drought.

Friday morning Jim and Jeff Kimball headed back to Richland to get the
clutch master working and the rest of us motored down to Walla Walla to
collect our show registration packets and other goodies.  That was pretty
much it for Friday as the weather turned rather wet (can you day happy
farmers?).  We had lunch in Waitsburg on the way back to Dayton and spent
the rest of the day relaxing at the hotel.

Saturday opened bright and clear with an early drive down to Walla Walla to
get parked for the show.  They said parking was from 6:30 to 10:00 so we
thought arriving by 8:30 would put us the middle somewhere.  LOL!  People
had started parking by 5:30 in the morning and we were just about the last
ones in at the far end of everything.  All cars are parked along Mian St. in
WW, and they stretched for what had to be a miles from one end to the other.
Marc and Cindy Strickland, who had driven over with friends and stayed in
downtown WW came over to join us after Marc worked out an electrical issue
with his Pantera.  A couple of Marc and Cindy's friends joined us for the
show.

When the show was done (no awards for our group this year), we drove west to
the Waterbrook Winery along US-12 for a wonderful outdoor dinner next to the
lake.  Voting for the People's Choice was held, and Norm McFadden won the
trophy this year for his very well turned out burgundy '72 Pantera.  We did
not vote on second or third place this year.

On Sunday morning some headed off for home while the rest followed Ken and
Jan Turney up their farm near Hay, WA.  Beautiful drive to a town so small
it says "Entering Hay" on both sides of the sign (just kidding).  But
seriously folks, there are only about 10 houses in what is considered the
town of Hay, and we had one couple waive to the parade as we drove through.
Their probably still talking about it.  Ken and Jan's house and farm are
about a mile out of town.  We stopped for a while to see the place and the
Pantera the Ken has working on for a few years to get back on the road.
Well, we were surprised to find that he actually has two Panteras, having
bought another one within the last year (the white and blue car in the
attached pic).  We'll add that one to the chapter records.

Following the visit to the Turney's, the rest of us headed our various
directions home.  Both cars that had issues during the weekend made it home
safely.  Now Jim and Marc have something to work on as we move into fall.

We all had a great trip and are looking forward to next year.  Things should
be opened back up by then and we'll need to find a new destination for our
travels.  Any suggestions?

Stay tuned for planning for our Holiday Party sometime in January.

Take care and stay well.

Mike Thomas

Panteras Northwest