[DeTomaso] Active suspension for Pantera

Dick Koch redcatman74 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 08:25:27 EDT 2021

Mike, you are correct. I installed Magneshock's Magneto-Rheological (MR)
technology system 17 years ago.. To learn more about Dick Anderson's
system, Google "Magneshocks"

A direct link to how it works:
http://www.magneshocks.com/howitworks.html

At the time, Dick was a leading innovator and developer of the technology
and applying it to automotive applications, initially aimed at selling the
system to the US army to retrofit the US Army's Humvee inventory.

Due to a non-compete restriction when he sold Carrera shocks, his retail
market was limited to race car usage.

As a friend of Dick, he sold me the system as a way to show how it could be
used on a street car. Folks may not remember, but when I went to the 2006
Pantera get together in Las Vegas, we tested the system at the Pahrump
Valley racetrack.

The system is unique, even with the use of the technology in current main
line automobiles, in it's ability for the user to set up and change the
shock reactive programs, and save the 5 programs, each program allowing the
setting of individual reactive variables for each of the four shocks,
depending on the track and road conditions. I applied my own twist on the
system where I can switch instantly from one program setting to another,
while underway, by use of thumb switches I installed on the steering wheel
spokes.

Dick was way ahead of his time, and sadly being encumbered by his
non-compete restrictions, and Lord, the company that held the patent on the
fluid used in magneto-rheological shocks, reneging on their agreement to
supply him with the fluid for his government market, Dick's company closed
down.

The system came with all the cables and controller ready to install. I
installed the control box in the front trunk along with the methanol
injection pump and tank, with the control box connected to the program
module in the cabin.

In the Vegas trip, I had Dick riding in the passenger seat, and based on my
need to change the "stiffness" of the shocks, he would instantly change the
settings for each shock. Once I was satisfied with the changes, he saved
them in one of the 5 available program settings, that could be recalled
later with the turn of a knob on the dash, or using the thumb switches on
the steering wheel.

With my current refresh of my car nearing completion, I will be able to
enjoy the benefits of the system again.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=6327103987329547&id=100000900252005

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021, 7:32 PM MICHAEL DREW via DeTomaso <