[DeTomaso] Stainless V Non-stainless brake lines

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 14:58:23 EDT 2021

Having purchased the Classic Tube stainless lines, I would think twice about it. The flaring and all fittings were right, and the length was generally good. However I couldn't use the front lines because they had incorrect bends, and the back lines had to be massaged and re-bent to fit. I'd probably start with a nickel/copper line or a quality stainless annealed line over the "pre-bent" (ha!) kit. My first choice is annealed stainless with AN fittings because it just works and looks great. I know single flares are borderline legal on brake stuff, but if aircraft rely on them, I will too. As long as you use the flare nut and sleeve, I'm told it will hold up and work great. The nickel/copper stuff is fine but it's hard to straighten out perfectly. I'm sure it would be different if I had one of those nifty straighteners with the five roller wheels! The nickel/copper flares beautifully both single and double flares.

Get a high quality tubing bender and learn to use it. Also, a good flaring tool is a necessity that can do SAE and Euro bubble flares. For double flares, the bench mounted stuff is good. For single AN 37 degree flares, I use a Rigid 037 flaring tool that rolls the flare. If I had unlimited funds, an aircraft flaring tool set would be my choice.

Corey