[DeTomaso] What good is a cracked upright?

Jack Dunn po917k at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 20:18:27 EDT 2021

When we had a racing outfit in Florida up until a few years ago, we took our difficult/critical welding jobs to a professional NASA (the rocket agency) welder in Cocoa Beach. Obviously well qualified, he could weld anything beautifully (magnesium, titanium, etc.).
If it were mine, I'd take that cracked Pantera cast iron upright to our guy and have him weld up the crack, perhaps with extra metal support welded on. And I'd keep the repaired upright as a "racing spare", i.e., to be used in an emergency if another upright breaks or fails.
Jack