[DeTomaso] Brake fluid Dot 5

steve at snclocks.com steve at snclocks.com
Wed Nov 17 13:16:53 EST 2021

I have to admit I laughed out loud when I read Mike's response about museum cars.

Larry and Mike are right - Dot 5 lasts forever.  And oh yea, it doesn't strip paint if you spill it anywhere and it doesn't absorb water.  And it doesn't eat away at your bake system seals.

Background.  I have an XKE with 200K miles on it - 160K of which I put on it.  I rebuilt the brakes when I bought the car - in 1980.  I purged the system using 90% rubbing alcohol, then hooked the system up to the inlet manifold and evacuated it.  So, got rid of all the paint remover.  Filled it with Dot 5.  41 years ago.  And have not had to fiddle with the system since.  Yes, I have replaced pads, and periodically I flush with new fluid.  And no, I don't race the car, but I drive it hard.

The Dot 5 vs Dots 3/4 debate is one that has been around forever.  I have 5 cars full of Dot5.  I suppose it is possible I am truly too insensitive to feel the mushy pedal that folks talk about.  On our Pantera - we upgraded to Wildwood brakes and a brake master cylinder/vacuum booster from Pantera Performance.  And have had no problems with using Dot 5.  Our Daytona coupe - drained out the paint thinner, flushed, evacuated and filled with Dot 5.  No problems.  Ditto Lotus Elise, and Mazda AZ-1.  No problems.

As in, 41 years in a British car, and haven't had to replace seals.  Doesn't sound like bad news to me.

As often pointed out, your mileage may vary.

Stephen Nelson