[DeTomaso] The Bushing Debate - Stock v Polly

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 00:49:46 EDT 2021

*       What are the pros/cons of original brass/rubber versus poly bushings on the Pantera?

A: The rubber in the bushings is bonded in the outer and inner so it provides a sprung dampening effect. Poly bushings are not all made equal, so there is variation. IMO the oem rubber bushings ride better for street and don't squeak.

*       Any problems with putting stock bushings in the rear and leaving the poly in the front to keep the offset bushings for improved castor?

A: If you are just doing that to get desired caster there are other ways to achieve the goal and have the car equally bushed on all four corners.

*       Will shaving the upper ball joints on one side achieve the same offset as the offset poly bushing set and allow me to go back to stock bushings in front with improved castor?

A: You can only safely shave 0.1" off the ball joint without going into the inner cavity.  If I recall the geometry correctly, the 0.1" will get your roughly one degree, but should be easy to compare to your offset bushing and what length they are offset and gain you.

*       Any other considerations that I'm not bringing up here . . .

OK, I'm at that decision point in rebuilding my suspension as part of the
restoration.  I know this subject has been debated a few times in the past
but I'll throw it out there again for fresh cussing and discussing.  I have
a few questions around the subject.

*       What are the pros/cons of original brass/rubber versus poly bushings
on the Pantera?
*       Any problems with putting stock bushings in the rear and leaving the
poly in the front to keep the offset bushings for improved castor?
*       Will shaving the upper ball joints on one side achieve the same
offset as the offset poly bushing set and allow me to go back to stock
bushings in front with improved castor?
*       Any other considerations that I'm not bringing up here . . .

Thanks in advance for you input and I hope you all have a great holiday
weekend.

Mike Thomas

Panteras Northwest

-------------- next part --------------
   *       What are the pros/cons of original brass/rubber versus poly
   bushings on the Pantera?

   A: The rubber in the bushings is bonded in the outer and inner so it
   provides a sprung dampening effect. Poly bushings are not all made
   equal, so there is variation. IMO the oem rubber bushings ride better
   for street and don't squeak.

   *       Any problems with putting stock bushings in the rear and
   leaving the poly in the front to keep the offset bushings for improved
   castor?

   A: If you are just doing that to get desired caster there are other
   ways to achieve the goal and have the car equally bushed on all four
   corners.

   *       Will shaving the upper ball joints on one side achieve the
   same offset as the offset poly bushing set and allow me to go back to
   stock bushings in front with improved castor?

   A: You can only safely shave 0.1" off the ball joint without going into
   the inner cavity.  If I recall the geometry correctly, the 0.1" will
   get your roughly one degree, but should be easy to compare to your
   offset bushing and what length they are offset and gain you.

   *       Any other considerations that I'm not bringing up here . . .

   A: Having the A-arms modified will easily get you the 4.5 degrees that
   are ideal for a narrow body.