[DeTomaso] Intake carb base question.

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:18:24 EDT 2021

> AFAIK, the Blue Thunder "Pantera" intake is the ONLY intake that offers
> a parallel-to-the-ground design when installed in our Panteras

That is not the case.  Other intakes that have level carb pads
(or have it optionally) include Scott Cook's dual plane, the Edelbrock
Scorpion, Bud Moore Ram box, most of the Ford Motorsport high ports
and the CHI single planes.

> found "the" ford aluminum intake, in his opinion, better than BT.

By the Ford aluminum intake, do you mean the over-the-counter Holley
carb pattern version (p/n D1ZX-9425-DA) of the Boss/HO 4300D pattern
intake ((p/n D1ZX-9425-CA)?  In any case, in unmodified form both the
Ford and Blue Thunder intakes have the same problem, 4 good runners
and 4 bad, though the pattern of good and bad runners is different.
When D1ZX-9425-DA intake was bolted to a 351C-4V head that flowed
322 CFM @ 0.6" lift, half the runners flowed in the 270's to 280's,
while the other half were down in the 250's. To equalize the flow in
the runners, the center plenum divider was cut down, the port plenum
entry radiused to bring the poor flowing ports up to match the good
flowing ports and a 1" spacer installed.

With those modifications, on Glen Hartog's 408C, the modified Ford
intake made 31 HP and 23 ft-lbs more than the unmodified Blue Thunder
but was down about 15 HP at peak to a Holley Strip Dominator.  When
we did the same treatment to Mike Drew's Blue Thunder, it equaled the
Strip Dominator in peak power.

Dan Jones