[DeTomaso] Fontana block question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 26 16:25:28 EDT 2021

A possible problem with Fontana stud kits comes from the fact that early SVO (A-3) heads had a few short studs near the exhaust manifolds: those head bolt bosses were shortened. Later SVO heads used bosses and studs all the same length. A stud too long is easily fixed but too short a stud is not. And unless your pain tolerance is high or you work out regularly on a weight bench, I don't recommend using head studs with iron heads especially if you work alone.
Lifting a 64 lb iron head 8"-10" up & over a set of studs from an engine still in the car with arms at full stretch is an exercise I can no longer do. I've already had one shoulder's rotator cuff tendon reattached. An 18 lb aluminum cylinder head is far easier to lift. If you must, have a couple of big friends available to help. The med procedure is a simple outpatient but walking around or sleeping with arm in a sling for 6 weeks is annoying. And then of course you get to explain to TSA agents why your titanium shoulder sets off their alarms...

I bought a new set of head studs from my Fontana block from Jeg's a
couple of years ago.

   I bought a new set of head studs from my Fontana block from Jeg's a
   couple of years ago.
   use the links above.