[DeTomaso] Intake gaskets

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 22:59:50 EDT 2021

   "Just a small block Ford with a carburetor." I love it when you talk
dirty to me. HAHAHA

Jeff

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:56 PM Larry Finch via DeTomaso <

> [...]
>
>    Larry
>
>    Sent from me using a magic, handheld electronic gizmo.
>

>      On Mar 17, 2021, at 7:41 PM, Jeff Detrich <jjdetrich at gmail.com>
>
>      wrote:
>

>    Gotta say here that fuel injection is not that expensive and pretty
>
>    darn fail safe nowadays . Why bother with carbs anymore. My 2 cents
>
>    worth.
>
>    Jeff 6559
>
>    On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:36 PM Larry Finch via DeTomaso
>
>    <[1]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>

>      Thanks, Dave.
>
>      Just a couple dozen shakedown miles so far. Car is missing bumpers,
>
>      both deck lids, headlights, interior carpet and other miscellaneous
>
>      items. Two wheels were slightly bent in the accident, so they need
>
>      to be repaired at Stockton Wheel and then all four need to get
>
>      polished and then four new tires mounted. Also then need to get the
>
>      car somewhere for a four wheel alignment and want to put it on a
>
>      chassis dynamometer to compare those readings to the engine
>
>      dynamometer already done. Planning on taking it to a local shop for
>
>      full paint correction followed by some clear vinyl chip guard on
>
>      front end and rear quarter areas.
>
>      New 404 stroker Cleveland is very responsive, 454fwhp & 475
>
>      torque,SACC power steering is a dream. Vader window lifts tied into
>
>      an alarm system with power locks and one touch windows and a new
>
>      custom-by-Larry horizontal gauge panel with Kenwood touchscreen. All
>
>      new HVAC system fully checks out but needs to be charged. Quite
>
>      pleased with the fruits of my thousands of hours labor.
>
>      Right now though it seems my power valve has failed so I am awaiting
>
>      gaskets and valves from Summit. Also as this thread indicates I have
>
>      intake manifold issues.
>
>      Regarding the power valves in the holly avenger, Bob Oliver at
>
>      Competition Carburetion, who blue printed the carb, tells me power
>
>      valves are now regularly failing not because of backfires but
>
>      because of the ethanol in the fuel we are forced to use. When I told
>
>      him the engine had sat for about a year after the engine dynamometer
>
>      testing he didn't even hesitate to confirm my idle issue was power
>
>      valve related.
>
>      If everything falls into place, yeah I know that's kind of silly,
>
>      but everything perhaps might fall together by the end of April.
>
>      I will definitely be attending Monterey this year. I will definitely
>
>      be avoiding Subarus.
>
>      Larry
>
>      Sent from me using a magic, handheld electronic gizmo.

>      [2]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com

>      To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
>
>      etc.) use the links above.
>
>      Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward
>
>      any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of
>
>      the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an
>
>      archive or approve the archiving of list messages.

-------------- next part --------------
   A A A "Just a small block Ford with a carburetor." I love it when you
   talk dirty to me. HAHAHA

   Jeff

   On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:56 PM Larry Finch via DeTomaso

     A  A Jeff, I hear you, I understand, but my philosophy is why mess
     with what
     A  A works?
     A  A My previous engine also had a Holley 670 avenger, as far as I
     know
     A  A straight out of the box and not benefiting from the blueprint I
     had
     A  A added to my new 670 avenger.
     A  A I adjusted the fuel bowl levels when I first bought 2511, and
     A  A absolutely did not touch that carburetor for the next 50,000
     miles.
     A  A That included trips to Reno, trips over the Sierra Nevada,
     trips up to
     A  A Mount Charleston. Elevation changes are more perfectly handled
     by fuel
     A  A injection but I never experienced actual problems related to
     elevation.
     A  A So, my personal experience has not exposed me to this "bother"
     you say
     A  A carburetors present.
     A  A Plus I like keeping an old-school super car powered by an old
     school
     A  A push-rod engine sporting an old-school carburetor.
     A  A One of my fond memories was returning from a PCNC chapter
     meeting late
     A  A at night when I came across a brand new Nissan 350 Z on one of
     Fresno`s
     A  A thoroughfairs, essentially deserted at midnight on a Thursday.
     A  A We both pulled together very evenly but I was just shifting
     gears and
     A  A he was bouncing off his turbo wastegate with every shift. At
     the light
     A  A when he asked what I was running, it was quite fulfilling to
     say ---
     A  A "Just a small block Ford with a carburetor."
     A  A Larry
     A  A Sent from me using a magic, handheld electronic gizmo.
     A  A  A On Mar 17, 2021, at 7:41 PM, Jeff Detrich
     <[2]jjdetrich at gmail.com>
     A  A  A wrote:
     A  A Gotta say here that fuel injection is not that expensive and
     pretty
     A  A darn fail safe nowadays . Why bother with carbs anymore. My 2
     cents
     A  A worth.
     A  A Jeff 6559
     A  A On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:36 PM Larry Finch via DeTomaso