[DeTomaso] Suspension bushings squeaking

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 21:11:28 EDT 2021

Mike,

Stock A-arm bushings don’t squeak. Ever.

They also are harmed by lubrication.

Either your A-arm bushings are poly, or the squeaking is coming from your sway bar or shock bushings and not your A-arm bushings.

Is there any metal visible in your A-arm bushings?  If not, they are poly, regardless of what you thought the vendor was installing.

Here is a close-up of a stock bushing:

And the same bushing installed:

You can see that on the small end (right), there is a ring of metal against the mount (the inner sleeve), and then rubber visible. On the other end, there is a larger ring (the outer sleeve)and rubber, with the rubber against the mount. During suspension movement, nothing rotates. That is, nothing is sliding against anything else. Instead, the rubber in between the inner and outer sleeves distorts.

This is why the suspension MUST be weighted before the nuts and bolts are tightened. There is only so much distortion available.  If you make the mistake of tightening everything with the suspension hanging free, it then distorts considerably when the car is set on the ground, consuming much of the available movement.  Further suspension movement then overwhelms the rubber and leads to premature failure.

You can install everything loosely with the suspension hanging, but then put a jack under the suspension corner and raise it up until the car lifts slightly off the jack stand. Only then should you complete tightening the mounting bolts.

Mike

Sent from my iPad