[DeTomaso] Suspension bushings squeaking

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 20:13:45 EDT 2021

Mike,

Did you use polyurethane bushings? Stock bushings never seem to squeak so I’m assuming you switched to poly (which is a mistake IMHO, but if you’re already there, it’s not so egregious that you have to switch back).

If you used poly bushings, they need to be thoroughly lubricated. People routinely lube the inside and outside of the bushings and completely forget that it’s the flat ends of the bushings where much of the squeak comes from.

I use this stuff:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

Normally when you buy poly bushings for other applications, they include a laughably small tube of this stuff. This is a lifetime supply.

You can easily handle this job yourself without needing to dismantle or disturb anything overmuch.  First, jack up the car (or at least the corner you are working on).  Start with one corner and remove the wheel.  Then support the suspension on a jack, and remove both bolts for one A-arm and pry it out of the mounts. Pop the bushings out of the A-arm, clean everything, lube the inside, outside, and ends of the bushings, reinstall them in the A-arms, wrestle the A-arms back into position, and install the nuts and bolts.

Then repeat seven more times.

The nuts don’t need to be crazy tight, as they are self-locking Nylock nuts. Overtightening just leads to more squeaking. Follow the torque specs in the shop manual.

Your sway bars could also be making noise if you have poly bushings so they also deserve attention. There, only the inside of the bushings needs lube because the bushings are held secure in clamps. Having said that, there’s no harm in lubing the outside as you will have plenty of extra lube on hand.

Once everything is assembled you can wipe off any excess lube. If young can see it, it’s not doing anything so it might as well get cleaned off.

Good luck!

Mike

Sent from my iPad