[DeTomaso] Boss 301 dismantling questions

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:56:28 EST 2021

All good information, but Patrick does say in parentheses "(the engine being out of course)", but doesn't elaborate on the reason for the need to remove a single piston and rod.

As Larry stated it may be possible to mass balance one piston and rod to that one removed and presumably being replaced, but the reason to replace one would likely be because it is damaged or failed, thus likely not a good candidate to mass match or perhaps it failed because it was out of balance!

The term balancing can be taken in different context by different individuals, to some it is simply matching masses of the components (by manipulation of individual masses or selecting from a large number to get the most common set), to others it can be dynamically balancing on a purpose-built rig as it rotates. For a highly stressed race engine it's worth the cost to have the full rotating assembly professionally balanced.

As to the question of degree of disassembly; one should be able to leave the heads intact and work from the bottom of an engine on a stand, although that then precludes being able to check deck clearances on reassembly, but should not be a concern if replacing like for like components.

Julian