[DeTomaso] Techno question: Koni shock bump stops

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri Jun 25 15:48:20 EDT 2021

Dear Forum,

          During a long sporty drive this week there was a new
squeaky/squealy noise from the right corner only during  left turns at more
than 35 mph or so.  I thought that the high positive caster had resulted in
the tire contacting the fender lip.  I had solved that problem over twenty
years ago and I did not understand why it would return.

           Inspection showed no obvious fender contact on the tire nor of
tire contact on the fender.  I removed the wheels and did not see evidence
for a leaky, failing Koni shock.

           I did find that the bump stops, both right and left, look they
are well into crumbling deterioration.  I think that the smaller effective
bump stop permitted more suspension travel which did allow some tire-fender
lip contact for brief periods.

          It obviously happens, but I have not heard of failing bump stops.
I presume that this mundane failing part will require shock removal to
replace the bump stop?    Has anyone else been down this proverbial road?

                         Warmest regards, Chuck Engles