[DeTomaso] POCA website forum

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 06:25:54 EST 2021

Well said Asa,

Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be ! )

    On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:42:42 PM CST, Asa Jay Laughton via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:

 This forum is like walking into a big room with plenty of experts
hanging around.  All you have to do is sit and listen to the conversations.

Using an on-line forum is like walking into a huge building with lots of
doors leading to all the experts in different rooms.  You can't just sit
and listen in and chime in when you hear something interesting.  You
have to choose a door, and if the conversation isn't what you're looking
for, you have to exit one room and go to another.

I'm a member of several other on-line forums.  Some I've not visited in
over a year.  One I found no longer existed one day when I desperately
needed assistance on an issue.  Yea... that was a real bummer.

I don't begrudge Larry his opinion, because he's right in some ways,
there -are- people who are more comfortable with the on-line forum. And
in many cases you can set you account up to get email notifications of
postings.  For a while, I had my account on the POCA site set to send me
an email anytime anyone posted in any topic, or created a new topic.  It
was great and I think it allowed responding by email.  So it wasn't
really a bad alternative.

And yes, Larry makes a good point about the Mailman archives being
difficult to search, but they -are- searchable.  I can't remember who,
but I know a few folks have figured out how to properly do a search from
nearly any search engine and get tailored results from just this email
list.  Anyway, yea, it's a little more difficult but can be done.

My biggest fear in losing this email list, is losing all the collective
knowledge that -is- in the archives.  Yes, it may be hard to find, but
there was no guarantee it was going to be preserved, when POCA spun up
the new on-line forum.

I really do like this format, it suits my needs well. :)
Besides, I like walking in, sitting down and just listening you all.

Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES-RACES-ACS EC/RO
https://w7tsc.org
https://www.teampanteraracing.com