[DeTomaso] Spare Part Numbers and Pics spare tire/wheel

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 14:42:24 EST 2021

No one remembers our OEM type spare any more.  Manufacturers stopped making collapsible, space-saver or folding-sidewall spares over 30 yrs ago. The OEM was on a 14" x 5" steel Ford wheel. The first made by BFG (sharp edges on the rubber tread & casing) was recalled by DOT for rubber cracking in the '70s, so any that you find today -14" ,15" or 16" size- will be the 2nd series with rounded edges on the tire. They will all be over 40 yrs old- use with extreme care if at all!  Tire Rack (recently sold to Discount Tire) now calls the narrow high pressure 'bicycle-tire' spares a 'compact spare'. There are articles on all this in the POCA Archives and in this Forum's archives.
A good idea to carry a VW tire inflater hose that connects to a spark plug & inflates any tire with the engine at idle. The old aerosol tire inflater cans often had PROPANE inside, which makes them a hand grenade in my book. Some have 'cooked off' in hot Pantera trunks, denting the trunk lids.