[DeTomaso] AC trinary switch - explained

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 16:56:31 EDT 2021

All,

I have been aware of AC pressure safety switches in two styles, the original binary style and the more current trinary style.

I recently had reason to dig a little deeper and learned some things that certainly added to my knowledge and I think are worthy to share.

The Pantera OEM system had neither of those safety switches. Most driers provide a threaded port that can be used for either switch.

In a nutshell, a binary switch provides high and low pressure cut off of the compressor 12v when pressure falls above or below the switch triggerpoints -406psi and  30psi.

The trinary switch retains those functions, but adds a set of contacts that close upon detection of 254 psi in the system, providing 12V to the condenser fan.

Informative video by vintage air on
YouTube -

https://youtu.be/l604JCZx_ow

Larry