[DeTomaso] [EXTERNAL] Fwd: Hammer Price Portfolio Report - Sunday, August 15, 2021

Himes, Terry (US 397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 15 13:10:53 EDT 2021

Wow!  Shills have been used for century's, mostly by street scoundrels looking to relieve you of
you cash. This is a whole new level.

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Deep Space Exploration – Mission Operations

Psyche
Europa Lander Science Support Team
Odyssey Sequence Team
TGO Sequence Lead
MEX Sequence Lead
Spitzer Space Telescope Data Team
Dawn Spacecraft Team

Cell:     (818) 653-8213
thimes at jpl.nasa.gov

On 8/15/21, 7:24 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Mike Drew via DeTomaso" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:

    All,

    Two more Panteras sold at Mecum yesterday. The first was a mostly stock Pre-L that had been for sale at a SoCal exotic car dealership for months (years?) with a ridiculous $150k or so asking price. The only notable deviation from stock was the blacked-out trim:

    https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-488367/1971-detomaso-pantera/__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!f4Xl4XLFL22PdOjjZ3m_Q50iUDvSzHhNDqmywUprCarfls60L5OHN2GVuRkqMffnbEAMew$

    The selling price was right on the money, a bit inflated due to Monterey, as expected.

    Then, a fool supposedly bought the wrecked Pantera, paying more than any number of good, running, driving Panteras have sold for lately:

    https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-465375/1971-detomaso-pantera/__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!f4Xl4XLFL22PdOjjZ3m_Q50iUDvSzHhNDqmywUprCarfls60L5OHN2GVuRkqMfcjCmrVzQ$

    The sheer stupidity of this sale beggars belief. Auction houses are far from the most trustworthy entities in the world and it strikes me as possible that the only bidders in the room were auction employees who were given paddles and told to wave them around. After all, since Mecum already owned the car, if Mecum was to ‘buy’ it, nothing would change. And if they somehow convinced a fool in the room that he should start waving HIS paddle around, so much the better (for them).

    Unethical? Absolutely. A common practice? I happen to believe that it is.

    What will be telling is seeing if the ‘buyer’ of the car emerges publicly. If so, we have to pledge to take pity on him and help as much as possible. But personally I wouldn’t be surprised to see this car appear at a future Mecum auction soon…..

    Mike

    Sent from my iPad

    Begin forwarded message: