[DeTomaso] Fwd: Hammer Price Portfolio Report - Saturday, August 14, 2021

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 11:35:40 EDT 2021

All,

Results from Monterey so far:

The Shelby GT5-S failed to meet reserve:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-481124/1986-detomaso-shelby-pantera-gt5-s/

Bid to $230k. Values on GT5-S Panteras crested a couple of years ago and have since fallen to a more reasonable state. The Shelby heritage of this car is genuine but not especially significant, and the seller could easily have let this car go and not felt too bad about it.  The catalog auction estimate of $350-400k was ludicrous.

The Bonham’s car was a seemingly terrific example of the restomod genre, as constructed by Don Byars. I coincidentally met the seller in the paddock at Laguna Seca yesterday and realized he was one of the handful of guys that comprised “Hollywood Panteras” some 10-15 years ago, including Richard Plotkin and Matt Merritt. His name was Philip Mendelovitz.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26887/lot/127/

Hammer price was $125k, meaning $140k including fees, which is probably about right for this car.

Somebody must have been drunk in the Gooding tent because this $60-70k scruffy restoration project sold for $105k, against a ludicrous estimate of $140-180k.  That means he paid closer to $120k, all-in.

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1974-de-tomaso-pantera-l

This car will need absolutely everything, a full restoration, although as a California garage find it is almost assuredly rust free, which counts for something. But the buyer is well on his way to having $200k plus invested into a car that might possibly be worth what he initially paid for it when he’s done.  If he’s lucky.

I will be very interested to see what Mecum gets for the Pantera that was very nice until they pushed it out the back of their transporter and it crashed to the ground:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-465375/1971-detomaso-pantera/

Hilariously they are estimating it’s worth at $100-125k in its current crashed state. That might have been right pre-crash. We will see if somebody else chooses to follow the Gooding Pantera buyer down the trail to financial self-immolation….

Mike

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

   [1]https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0821-481124/1986-detomaso-shelby-panter