[DeTomaso] Temp Gauge Started Bouncing

Joe Jaffoni 427390 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:27:05 EDT 2020

1972, #3244 with stock veglia gauge, stock sending unit in block, aluminum
radiator w/two strong fans that are temp controlled w/sensors from Byars,
flow kooler water pump w/the aluminum pulley upgrade.

Have driven about 600 miles since break in and getting it back on the road
and then drove 1.5 hours to a cars and coffee and the gauge read fine at
around 190 with the fans coming on and off depending on whether I was on
the highway or local roads.

On the drive home, the temp gauge started bouncing from about the 200
degree mark and  mostly to the lower temp side of the gauge. Got home and
the car was not overheated and I checked it at the block and heads with
infrared thermometer.

Have others had this? Do I check wiring on gauge first? Sensor first? Any
ideas that will shorten the troubleshooting process would be appreciated as
I will have the car out this weekend and while it's not overheating, it's
annoying to watch the needle bouncing around like that. Thanks for the
help/insights.