[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel Bearing

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 18:46:16 EDT 2020

Dennis, the assemblies you located will work IF they are usable quality- except that you are then dealing with shipping bulky 57-lb assemblies, instead of 4-oz bearings and removing and rebuilding what you already have. Possible issues involve unknown quality brake rotors, unknown lower pivot spacers & bushings and especially unknown axles with maybe mauled axle nuts. Given the visible condition of your rear bearing, I'd first check if the upright lower pivot shaft(s) are frozen. If so, that's yet another assembly that needs specialized work, probably at a pro shop. I have needed and used a cutting torch and a power hacksaw on some cars!

Note the D and S stamps (denoting thread direction) on the threaded ends of stock axles are visible while still assembled. Obviously, what you get in these used part deals can be better than- or worse than- what you already have, so it's a crapshoot until someone does a teardown and actually checks everything. With used uprights I always assume I will need to R & R everything including both axles. Teardown can be done a variety of ways but reassembly takes a special nut socket, a very high torque wrench (0-500 or more ft-lbs range), a 5-digit 1"-2" micrometer for checking the axle shafts and a hydraulic press with a custom press fixture.

And parts as necessary, of course: bearings are cheap but nothing else is..... Replacement axles in 300-M steel are far stronger than OEMs ever were, and are usually sized correctly for proper bearing press-fit. This is a non-trivial job often done as a club project or during a multi-person Tech Session with experienced helpers. The first time through for everyone is slow and confusing because one problem often leads to another. Good luck.