[DeTomaso] Paint protective film

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 14:14:02 EDT 2020

 I've heard good things about these guys and will likely use them upon repaint (SF Bay Area)...
http://www.supremedetailworks.com/

brent
    On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 11:03:39 AM PDT, Erik Kolstoe <ekolstoe at gmail.com> wrote:

   I would say, make your call based on what you want to do with the car.
  I drive my cars on vintage car rallies. Oftentimes on terrible little
  back roads with loose gravel, following other old cars that
  areA getting on the gas. I drive my car more than I take it to car
  shows, and feel that the newer quality films are pretty good. My
  likelihoodA of getting rock chips are pretty high and actually
  expected. The front of my 1969 911 is tattered with them and the touch
  up paint looks terrible, leading into what will eventually be a repaint
  of the hood and valence. For me, the film makes sense. My .02 cents.

  On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 8:28 AM Garth Rodericks via DeTomaso

    A  A FWIW, 2 body shop owners I discussed it with have recommended
    against
    A  A applying any kind of protective paint film.
    A  A Following are some of the reasons they gave:
    A  A 1. It yellows over time.
    A  A 2. It's difficult to remove without damaging the paint
    underneath.
    A  A 3. The "protected" paint will fade at a different rate from the
    rest of
    A  A the car, so when removed the "protected" panels color will not
    match
    A  A the adjacent panels.
    A  A 4. Makes touch-up work much more expensive - it's impossible to
    touch
    A  A up blemishes, chips or scrapes without removing it, then you
    face
    A  A issues 2 & 3 above.
    A  A Better off to just drive and enjoy your car and touch up any
    chips on
    A  A the nose every few years.
    A  A Cheers!
    A  A Garth