[DeTomaso] Paint protective film

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 11:28:33 EDT 2020

FWIW, 2 body shop owners I discussed it with have recommended against applying any kind of protective paint film.

Following are some of the reasons they gave:
1. It yellows over time.
2. It's difficult to remove without damaging the paint underneath.
3. The "protected" paint will fade at a different rate from the rest of the car, so when removed the "protected" panels color will not match the adjacent panels.
4. Makes touch-up work much more expensive - it's impossible to touch up blemishes, chips or scrapes without removing it, then you face issues 2 & 3 above.

Better off to just drive and enjoy your car and touch up any chips on the nose every few years.

Cheers!
Garth