[DeTomaso] Need Collective Wisdom: To Undercoat or Not?

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 22:30:08 EDT 2020

Corey,

Yes to undercoating. There is a ton of debris that gets kicked up or sucked up as you are driving along. Undercoating protects the underside from insults from rocks etc, and also provides an element of noise deadening.

I have seen show cars that were just painted underneath. Paint quickly chips away of the car is driven, leaving bare metal which then starts rusting. It also makes the car sound tinny and tin-canny compared to a nice, thick layer of rubberized goop.

Inside the fender wells it’s especially important to protect the paint from starring from rocks striking the underside of the fenders.

Mike

Sent from my iPad