[DeTomaso] Prototype seats (Some DeTomaso Content)

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:28:55 EDT 2020

I've been idly thinking of another project for the back burner.  I
have a pushbutton car that is a survivor with some mild period
appointments and stock repairs.  The seats are in good shape but I
always think how amazing the seats in the prototype were and never
made it to production.  I thought I could build a seat from a racing
seat but they just aren't quite correct in shape or stamping.

Then I saw this web site from Miller Welding
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/welding-project-how-to-create-a-bomber-seat-out-of-steel

I have a bead roller and a welder and I know a guy with a shrinker.
The big oval punch&flare dies are pricey but if you are hand making
seats I don't know how else you could get that effect.  A custom
flaring tool would be best, and though I could 3-D print one I'm not
sure how to translate that into tooled steel without a ton of cash.

Still, handmade seats sound kind of fun.

sean

--
Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com http://spkorb.org (est 1994)