[DeTomaso] Fwd: Hammer Price Portfolio Report - Sunday, October 25, 2020

MICHAEL DREW mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 22:29:11 EDT 2020

Ken,

Well, the RM car was in absolutely the most desirable spec—yellow, chrome bumpers, highly original-looking (with some minor deviations like the steering wheel). It also had low mileage and the presumption was that it was in fantastic shape.  Any car with mileage that low may well suffer from ‘hangar rot’ and might demand some immediate minor maintenance (belts, hoses, fluids etc) which may have kept it from cresting the $100k mark.

The red car at BJ looked terrific too. I happen to believe the Recaro seats and Momo wheel enhance the driving experience, but they arguably hurt the value. The 10-inch wheels easily offset that however.  I think it was quite well-bought.

The other yellow car was a ‘cheap and cheerful’ car, looking rather scruffy and dog-eared.  The hacked-on L-model front bumper was a dumb idea, especially with the turn signals apparently just screwed to the underside. However presumably it would be relatively easy to undo this damage.

Think about how much financial headroom this buyer has though? Compared to the $95k car, he saved a lot of money which he could use to elevate the standard of this one to match that one.

Julian made a great point though—the single biggest factor is the seller’s poor choice of auction house. RM is a high-end place (as is Bonham’s) catering to a much more exclusive and sophisticated clientele. BJ is the place where drunk muscle car lunkheads go to buy dumb cars. They are far less likely to be interested in a Pantera.

The Pantera lives in this no-man’s-land between exotic and muscle car. I argue that it should 100% be considered an exotic, like an Iso or a Monteverdi, rather than just a Mustang that went to college. However there are enough of them out there to satisfy both tastes. I also argue that nice cars like the red one would definitely see a higher selling price at a high-end venue, while BJ should confine themselves to selling cars with tacky flares and wings and chrome wheels and cheetah-print seat covers.....

Mike

Sent from my iPad