[DeTomaso] Temp Gauge Started Bouncing

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 15:45:31 EDT 2020

With gauge senders that use a screw on ring connector, one of the most ignored is an installation problem. Such connectors are made such that if you simply stick on a ring connector and graunch down on the nut- especially after having loose connection woes, it's very easy to overtorque the nut in your zeal to avoid more such issues. What happens is, you literally pull the metal stud out of the plastic sender while tightening the small nut!  The sender should first have a nut threaded on finger tight, then the ring connector, then a small split-washer, then a second nut.

The second nut should be wrench-tightened against the first nut that's held by a second wrench, not against the sender body. Doing this wrong is a fine way to cause your brand new sender to behave exactly like the old one- with an intermittent electrical connection inside it. An allied problem is using too much teflon tape on the sender's pipe threads into the block. Too many turns can electrically insulate the sender from the block instead of allowing electricity to ground thru the cast iron. ONE turn of tape will work fine; more can and has caused problems.
J DeRyke