[DeTomaso] Car just quits

fred fred at creekspeak.com
Sat May 9 22:31:43 EDT 2020

I am not sure how your mileage answered my question  about my car stalling, but it sounds like you drove you car a lot. Sent from Samsung tablet.
-------- Original message --------From: B Hower <b.hower3400 at yahoo.com> Date: 5/9/20  7:53 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: fred <fred at creekspeak.com>, Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com> Cc: De Tomaso Forum <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Car just quits For my input.I ran a square bore from new to 144.000 mile on a 1970 351C with FMX and 3.00 9". It got around 19 mpg with the good CA 76 gas ..... And was not usually kept within the speed limits.Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be ! )

                   Fred,   On its best day I think the stock carb was a POS. Time hasn't done them   any favors.   99% of us are running Holley carbs on Edelbrock intakes under the stock   engine screen.   Having said that, if you are committed to keeping your carb, adjusting   the floats downward might help your problem. I know how to do that with   a Holley but not with the stock carb. The only thing I know how to do   with those is remove them and set them on a shelf :) :) :)   Mike   Sent from my iPad     On May 9, 2020, at 10:46, fred <fred at creekspeak.com> wrote:   It is the original carb I had rebuilt a few years ago. Dont  want to   change to another high profile carb and intake that won't  fit under   the screen. Already have a like new Holly setup sitting on a shelf. Let   me know if anyone can use it. Would like to stay with Autolite. I can   get it rebuilt again or buy the same model if still made. As usual,   thanks for your time and consideration.  Stay safe,  Fred Sweeney   Sent from Samsung tablet.   -------- Original message --------   From: Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com>   Date: 5/8/20 11:16 PM (GMT-06:00)   To: fred <fred at creekspeak.com>   Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com   Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Car just quits     Fred,     More details please. I know you are the original owner. Does the car     still have the original carb? If so it's a miracle it runs at all!     Mike     Sent from my iPad     > On May 8, 2020, at 20:59, fred <fred at creekspeak.com> wrote:     >     >    I have the exhaust  problem fixed after all your help. Now, on     two     >   occasions, I pulled off the highway and the car just died at the     stop     >   sign. I waited a minute, cranked it without using the gas pedal.     >   Nothing.  Stepped on the accelerator  and it started. After     that, no     >   problem. A faulty carburetor?  Please  email  your thoughts and,     as     >   usual, thanks for your insight. Fred     >     >   Sent from Samsung tablet.     > _______________________________________________     >     >     > Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA     > Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes     > DeTomaso mailing list     > DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com     > http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso     >     > To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,     etc.) use the links above.     >     > Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward     any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of     the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an     archive or approve the archiving of list messages._______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comhttp://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.

-------------- next part --------------
   I am not sure how your mileage answered my question  about my car
   stalling, but it sounds like you drove you car a lot.

   Sent from Samsung tablet.

       More details please. I know you are the original owner. Does the
   car
       still have the original carb? If so it's a miracle it runs at all!
       Mike
       Sent from my iPad
       > On May 8, 2020, at 20:59, fred <[5]fred at creekspeak.com> wrote:
       >
       >    I have the exhaust  problem fixed after all your help. Now, on
       two
       >  occasions, I pulled off the highway and the car just died at the
       stop
       >  sign. I waited a minute, cranked it without using the gas pedal.
       >  Nothing.  Stepped on the accelerator  and it started. After
       that, no
       >  problem. A faulty carburetor?  Please  email  your thoughts and,
       as
       >  usual, thanks for your insight. Fred
       >
       >  Sent from Samsung tablet.

       etc.) use the links above.

       > Members who post to this list grant license to the list to
   forward
   use the links above.