[DeTomaso] who has experience with Fontana blocks?

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 20:11:54 EDT 2020

IMHO,

I would say the leak is at the corner of intake manifold where manifold fits to head. Some intakes without a gasket will have a bigger gap between block and intake than any gasket supplied with intake gasket set. And corner where block, head, and intake meet is usually not a perfect fit, calling for some good silicone sealant. Some people use only silicone at ends of intake.

I have drilled into the block at 3 points along that area, and installed roll pins. Pins do not reach intake if installed without any gaskets. Then I put holes in the cork gaskets to match that location. The pins keep gasket form getting miss aligned. ( The OEM intake on OEM heads have been known to squeeze the rubber gasket enough to split it. )  I then use some silicone if gap from gasket to intake is small ... It seems that I have actually used double gasket to fill gap. But still corners need some silicone no mater how well you think the fit is.

Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be ! )