[DeTomaso] Shelby GT5-S on Discovery Driven - SPOILER ALERT

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:28:57 EDT 2020

I watched it and the Galpin Auto Sports guys seem to be it bit more rational than many of the other 'reality tv' auto shows, although they were previously featured on 'pimp my ride' so that should tell us something! Yes there were still plenty of scripted cliche's, loosely based historical facts and false drama.

Now, do I believe they called around local junk yards and miraculously found the original Shelby test mule engine just sat there on pallet under a pristine tarp for 30 years? The $7,500 they paid the old guy was probably more like hush money!

In parts of the show it's all about originality and keeping it the way Shelby touched it, "hey we can't rebuild the engine as it wouldn't be original any more" "we had the exact shade of Shelby white matched by PPG" where they then duly go and bolt up an ugly drop tip delta wing on the car just crudely re-drilling the decklid after paint and then go one step further and slap on a Wilwood brake kit.

But I'm sure now it has attained a little more TV fame and has the "original" engine back where it is supposed to be it will become the 'one of one' most expensive Pantera ever! In what is probably the most representative part of the related Shelby history "don't let the truth get int he way of a good story"

Julian