[DeTomaso] Brake Master Cylinder Issue

marshallgsmith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 21:00:06 EST 2020

If  you can identify the part number, you could probably get a rebuild kit.MarshallSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Cartus via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> Date: 3/4/20  1:42 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: spkorb at gmail.com, Mike Drew <mikeldrew at aol.com>, Ken Green <kenn_green at yahoo.com> Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Brake Master Cylinder Issue  Ken,Thanks for the reply. It's not your typical o-ring as it has "flares" similar to the wheel cylinder rebuild kits I have used on American cars. And getting an accurate measure has been tricky as I don't have such fine measuring tools.  I'm going to hit the local stores per Mike & Sean's suggestion, then contact Don Byers per their suggestions too.Bill    On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 04:31:51 PM EST, Ken Green <kenn_green at yahoo.com> wrote:     Maybe measure the ID of the cylinder or OD of the piston, and find an O-ring?    On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 1:17:47 PM PST, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:    It's from Precision Proformance (Bobby Byars RIP). It's a Chevy master and red rolled stock booster assembly. He also offered a slightly smaller aftermarket booster. In any case, the master is generic Chevy. I think it's a step-bore design, where the front and rear circuits use a different piston/bore diameter?MikeSent from my iPhone> On Mar 4, 2020, at 10:27, Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:> > I'm not sure but I think that is a Pantera Performance part, which is> a redrilled booster and master from a full size Chevrolet van.  You> might be able to grab the casting number off the master and get a> replacement from AutoZone or RockAuto or NAPA.> >> On 3/4/20, Bill Cartus via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:>>  My brake master cylinder was leaking so I took it off. I can easily see>>  that the problem is the larger rubber 'o-ring' has a small crimp in it>>  (not sure how it was even working unless the rear portion was doing>>  most of the work), but it appears no one sells a repair kit (per>>  Wilkinson rep I talked with). I can't see spending $289 for a whole new>>  master cylinder when a $1 part will take car of it.  Does anyone know>>  where I can get these parts? Has anyone used an after market unit from>>  Summit Racing (as an example) replacing the tandem unit attached to the>>  booster?  I have a 1972 car and assume it has an Italian factory>>  replacement unit from around 2016. Attaching a small pic below.  All>>  advice appreciated.>>  Thanks,>>  Bill Cartus #3633.> > > -- > Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com http://spkorb.org (est 1994)> "Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso> _______________________________________________> > > Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA> Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes> DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com> http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> > To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.> > Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages._______________________________________________Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCAPosted emails must not exceed 1.5 MegabytesDeTomaso mailing listDeTomaso at server.detomasolist.comhttp://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomasoTo manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.

   use the links above.