[DeTomaso] Reverse Gear

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:41:36 EDT 2020

Likely the trunnion bearing that others have suggested, but worth checking the reverse switch plunger, your manhandling with the linkage may have been enough to overcome any resistance, but if the reverse light switch is screwed too far in the case it will prevent selection of reverse gear.

Julian

We went to a cars and coffee yesterday, and found that our car would not let one shift into reverse.  As in, the lever would not slide over and up into reverse.  Everything else was fine - as it has been for years since Dennis went through it.  So, pull into a slot, and try a few more times.  No luck. I have Kelly try it, while I grip the knuckle right before the transaxle inlet shaft.  I twist while she engages, goes right in.  No problem.  Works fine as we leave and head for another C&C.  When we get there (20 miles), the shifter now slides up into the reverse slot no problem.  But no engagement.  No reverse gear.

It stayed that way till we got home and I experimented with adjustments.  I tried shortening the linkage, lengthening the linkage, and various rotations of the linkage.  Nothing.  No reverse.

Any ideas what is going on from you transaxle-knowledgeable folks?

Stephen Nelson

   use the links above.