[DeTomaso] Reverse Gear

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 18:04:04 EDT 2020

Steven,

Given that you can manually put the box in reverse, it's clear you don't have a ZF problem. That's good.

Try removing the shift gate temporarily. I bet it will then work fine. Maybe.

Often the trunnion bearing which supports the shifter shaft in the engine bay will come loose. This allows side to side movement of the rod which precludes proper shift function. There are a pair of giant nuts which must be completely tight to keep it from moving.

You could also have a loose u-joint but that seems less likely to me.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone