[DeTomaso] Fuel Tank Pick-Up Tube

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 15 15:36:59 EDT 2020

Your're correct- the stock fuel-out line ID will support about 425-45 bhp with the stock mechanical fuel pump. There are two tanks, the 71-72 uses a welded in-tank line that cannot practically be replaced. The '73-up tank use a fuel-out line built into the fuel gauge sender and that line can be cut away and replaced with a 3/8" OD line that can barely be bent to clear the engine screen. You'll have to recalibrate the float position after tack-welding the parts to the bigger line.The late sender retrofits perfectly to the early tank and can solve the problem for both type cars.

Another possible solution is adding an in-tank electric fuel pump that operates under somewhat higher pressure and gets regulated down for carbs. One of those may slightly increase the fuel flow out and thus the max sustained horsepower. By using a Ford electric pump, it can be installed in an unmolested tank- no cutting required. Other pumps may not fit thru the available hole. Not sure whether external aftermarket pumps would do anything except make more noise. With both fixes, remember the line from the tank outlet to the carb or EFI must be similarly enlarged or you've just moved the restriction downstream.

Has anyone ever increased the size of the suction line that goes inside the tank?  Mine looks kind of narrow and I was worried about being able to keep up with any engine upgrades (650hp+) I may have done in the future.  I’m about to get the tank Powder Coated black and figured if I do anything to it, I should do it now.  How about putting a sock or filter on the end of it?  Thanks.  Eric

Sent from my iPhone

   Has anyone ever increased the size of the suction line that goes inside
   the tank?  Mine looks kind of narrow and I was worried about being able
   to keep up with any engine upgrades (650hp+) I may have done in the
   future.  Iam about to get the tank Powder Coated black and figured if I
   do anything to it, I should do it now.  How about putting a sock or
   filter on the end of it?  Thanks.  Eric
   Sent from my iPhone
   use the links above.