[DeTomaso] round table pizza car

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 21:44:50 EDT 2020

Rich,

Great report!

I question your assertion that your brakes aren’t good enough. Before you invest in bigger wheels and tires to support bigger brakes, I would first try to optimize what you have.

Does their performance fade over time? If so you have a brake cooling issue, most likely. Get creative with fresh air ducting. You could also be barbecuing your pads because of poor pad choice.

If your brakes are never good enough, ask yourself why? Do you have a solid or mushy pedal? The pedal cluster is set up for power assist. Did you ‘improve’ the brakes by removing the power brake booster? Because of the pedal leverage ratio, you likely won’t have enough leg force to actuate the calipers properly. Put the booster back in.

If you already have the booster hooked up, what about brake pad compound? Wilwood themselves offer numerous different compounds, never mind the dozens of aftermarket companies out there.

I have a heavy (relative to your car) Pantera equipped with 15-inch wheels, Hoosier slicks and Wilwood brakes.  I use the Wilwood Smartpad BP-20 compound as a compromise between street and track performance, but if it was a dedicated track car I might consider something else. I have run Laguna Seca which is notoriously hard on brakes, as there are four mega braking zones on each lap.