[DeTomaso] Paint code for the Argent Silver used on the Campy wheels

Vinh Ly vinh.d.ly at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:49:57 EDT 2020

Mike,

I found the following old post from Garth Rodericks detailing his experience:

> [...]
>   in an 11 oz. spray can and reports that it was a good match, and an
>   economical option for repainting original Campys! The label on the can
>   said "Plasti-Kote Body Shop Paint, for Painting Doors, Fenders, Hoods
>   and Other Large Panels on Cars, Trucks & Vans". This paint seems to be
>   very forgiving when it comes to runs and sags, and giving a run a
>   little more spray seems to make it lay down smooth.
>   Technique: You need about 60 inches of 6 inch wide aluminum flashing -
>   comes in a roll at your local home improvement store. Unroll the
>   flashing and form a ring that just fits outside the wheel rim and
>   snugly down onto the tire. The wheel needs to be off the car and laying
>   flat on a piece of newspaper or cardboard to keep the floor or driveway
>   from turning silver. Clamp the ring with a pair of vice grips to hold
>   it to the correct diameter. Don1t worry about the flashing over lapping
>   itself that usually helps it hold it's shape. Mask off the valve stem
>   and spray away.
>   Note that Plasti-Kote also lists an Argent Silver (#621) on their
>   website, but I have no idea if it's close to the color we need for
>   Campys; it might be worth getting a can to test.
>   And here's an article on wheel restoration that everyone should read...
>
>   Restoring Magnesium Campagnolo Wheels the Right Way
>   http://www.poca.com/detomaso/2000-06/1205.html
>   by Mike Drew and Jack DeRyke
>
>   Eastwood Light Argent Silver
>   I used Eastwood's Argent Silver then coated with Eastwood semi-gloss
>   clear to facilitate easy cleaning. My Campys looked perfect. Others
>   have misted with Eastwood's Cad Silver between the Argent Silver and
>   the semi-gloss clear for a "perfect" finish, but I found the light
>   argent silver straight from the can looked pretty near perfect,
>   especially when coated with Eastwood Diamond Clear (satin finish).
>   FWIW, I spent about $200 on stripper, Zinc Chromate Primer, Eastwood
>   Silver Argent and Diamond Clear paint, and then invested countless
>   hours annealling the wheels and doing all the dirty work.
>
>   Powder Coating Wheels at Home
>   I was very disappointed with the durability of the Eastwood paint (see
>   the 3rd picture in the following link), so I decided to powder coat my
>   wheels, at home.  Check out this thread for my pictures:
>   [1]http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/4081069456
>   /p/1
>   The color I used was Silver Metallic 30% Gloss (T353-GR06) from
>   Cardinal Paint and Powder. It's a pretty darn close match to the
>   Eastwood Argent Silver (and the original color), but I wouldn't say
>   it's a "perfect" match. Although, close enough for me!  Eastwood offers
>   Argent Silver Powder paint, so theirs might be a perfect match.
>   In the "close up beauty shot" at the bottom of the first page of the
>   powder coating thread you can see some of the "coated in a plastic
>   finish" look around the cast "campagnolo" name that Paul mentioned in

Regards,
Vinh

   -
     [1]http://www.poca.com/detomaso/2000-06/1205.html

     [1][2]http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/40810
     #4033 - the Banzai Runner Pantera
   References
      1. [3]http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/40
   81069456/p/1

     DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com

     etc.) use

   the links above.

     any

   list.
   They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
   approve
   the archiving of list messages.

     DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com

     etc.) use

   the links above.

     any

   list.
   They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
   approve
   the archiving of list messages.
   Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA Posted emails must not
   exceed 1.5