[DeTomaso] Collective wisdom sought - exhaust options.

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 13:39:29 EDT 2020

Chuck,

FWIW what I did with my factory ANSA pipes was to cut back the pipes a bit further, and fabricate a Y-shaped pipe of similar diameter made of similar perforated tubing, then I packed the muffler thoroughly with stainless steel muffler packing material (which I got from Howe Racing I believe) and welded the tops of the mufflers back on.

(You are supposed to do this surgery from above because it will leave scars, which are invisible when the mufflers are mounted in the car).

It worked great, but horsepower improvements were nit as great as I would have hoped (only 12 hp) because the true restriction comes from the small diameter of the resonator tips. Newer production ANSA mufflers have no resonators in the tips for better flow (and Wilkinson mufflers use resonators whose OD is unnoticeable greater than stock but ID is MUCH greater than stock, for much better flow).

Mike

Sent from my iPad