[DeTomaso] Collective wisdom sought - exhaust options.

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 00:05:59 EDT 2020

Joe,

When the time comes the muffler mods will be fully documented in the PCNC newsletter (which is free for all to view at the PCNC website). It might be some time though—we have been meaning to do it for years now.

Today was spent tearing the underside of Lori’s car off to drop the oil pan to repair a persistent leak. It involves sawing off the emergency brake bracket (Dennis Quella sells a bolt-in replacement that I have standing by) and removing the previously installed bolt-in chassis crossmember. The original is welded in (dumb) and we cut that out and replaced it years ago. This bolt-in one appears to have grown since it was installed because it sure did not want to come out!  Lots of beating and whanging and tugging and prying, and finally using a broomstick and a BFH from above enabled us to get this ‘simple’ piece out. It was subsequently treated with the poor man’s end mill (Harbor Freight angle grinder) and will go in much more nicely now.

Finally we were able to drop the pan, clean off the underside of the block and tap the pan rails flat again. It may be a few days before we install the new gaskets and reinstall the pan. The parking brake hasn’t been hooked up for years, but that will be the next project, as we have new cables and all the needed hardware so there’s no reason not to implement it.

Lori worked hard today!